Friday, June 24, 2011

Illustration Friday - Swarm

I looked up swarm in the dictionary and it said "a large group of insects, usually flying" and the first annoying, flying insect that came to mind was a bumblebee. I've never seen a swarm of bees except for in movies and it's always both entertaining and terrifying. I thought it would be cool to combine the black and yellow that seem to blur together in a swarm of bees with watercolor. Then I drew a real bee just to emphasize what the mesh meant.

6 comments:

  1. Wow... I like this a lot. I like the use of watercolor to meld the black and yellow colors together

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really cool. The water colors make it look like a stream line of bees. Also I liked the movement line of the one bee you can see. It adds motion to the picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow i think this is really good. The first thing that came to my mind was bees as well. I really like how you had a blurred affect and then something that clarified what the blurred figures were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blaire this looks great. The water color really makes the swarm stand out and and look cool. Though most of them are blurred the one that isn't defines the picture which makes it fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blaire- Really nice job on this assignment! This is a good example of how I want students to get rid of their white backgrounds to create a greater emphasis on space and place in the illustrations! Good use of materials and creative thinking. Way to go!
    One suggestion - did you know that you can use Sharpie marker or colored pencil on top of watercolor? I do that once in a while to sharpen edges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is really cool. I really like the idea behind the blurring of the colors, and the watercolor really added a nice touch. Nice work Blaire

    ReplyDelete